Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 82, June 20, 2010

Today was a getting back to business day. That means I had to pick up the threads of the various story lines. That required going back and reading the last 30-40 pages I wrote. (Getting back to business is much easier to do when you're early in the story; you have far less material to remember. Now, being near the end, there's a heckuva lot of detail to keep in mind.) As I go through the pages I'm rereading, I inevitably find typos or come up with a new word or turn of phrase I like better than what was there before.

So after doing all that, I got three new pages written, a fair day's work when plunging back into the deep end. Momentum has been reestablished. I also clearly outlined what the first two scenes I'll write tomorrow will be. That means at some subconscious level I'm working on them right now.

In today's scene a supporting character's health takes a turn for the worse. Seen in isolation, the scene is almost trivial. Seen in context it's reminiscent of the "For Want of a Nail" proverb. Small actions can have large consequences.

Day 82 of writing my new novel is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment