Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 83, June 21, 2010

Doing a bit of rough calculation today, I estimated that I've spent approximately 400 hours so far on writing this first draft of my new novel. That would be 16.66 days writing around the clock or ten forty-hour weeks. Does anybody actually work forty hours per week anymore? Seems like a lot of people can't find full-time work and others get a fixed salary and are required to put in many more than forty hours per week.

Anyway, it's been a lot of time to work on one story, but I still feel good about it. My daughter asked me today, "Do you know where you're going?" Meaning do I know how the story ends. I told her I do, and the path to getting there is becoming clearer all the time. That's a very good sign. It's a big problem when you write almost 400 pages and you know neither what your ending will be nor how to reach it.

I wrote 4.5 pages today. In the first scene I wrote, I laid down a plot development courtesy of a secondary character that will pay dividends for the protagonist. In the second scene, the protagonist experiences two revelations after admitting he's the guy responsible for a screwup—rather than try to pass the buck to someone else.

Day 83 of writing my new novel is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment