Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 76, June 14, 2010

Have you ever read a book the really grabbed you, one so compelling you just raced through it? But as you approached, say, the last 30-50 pages you slowed down to make the pleasure last longer? I know I have, and the same sort of thing can happen to me when I write a book. I can see the end in sight and my daily production drops to a slower pace.

But that's not what happened today. Today, I made up for a slow Saturday and a slow Sunday. I wrote seven-plus pages. The work just flowed so that was what I enjoyed. Find your happiness where ye may.

Today's three scenes all advanced their plot lines: the sexual predator focuses on a new target, but also contemplates striking out at someone outside of his usual parameters; a supporting character looking to move up in the world might be undone by mundane circumstances, and thereby endanger the life of another; the chief antagonist strikes a bargain with a major supporting character to reach her goal.

All of these storylines examine aspects of character in down-to-earth ways: How can you fulfill an important responsibility that calls for you to be in a specific place when your bladder is about to burst; how can you share a moment of glee with someone you've just thought you might have to do in; how can you trust someone you just met to help you fulfill your greatest ambition?

Asking questions like that and answering them is part of what makes writing so much fun.

Day 76 of writing my new novel is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment