Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 98, July 6, 2010

Being ninety-eight days into the writing of this blog, I don't remember if I've raised the subject of found characters before. I suspect I may have, but just in case I haven't, here's a brief recap. Most, if not all, of my major characters are planned. I work them out in advance of writing the first draft. For the really big characters, I write lengthy biographies, so I'll know who the heck they are when I'm putting words into their mouths. Found characters, on the other hand, just step onstage, say here I am, you need me.

A lot of times, found characters can become among the most memorable and even likable in a story. Other times, though, they are important only as players of small but critical roles.

In today's first scene, such a found character steps forward. In order to be more than a mere contrivance the character has to have some flesh on his bones and just a bit of history. This character has leadership thrust upon him, heading up those who would thwart the antagonists big plan. Whether he succeeds or fails will determine whether the antagonists succeed or fail. In today's second scene, we get a new insight into the character who enabled the sexual predator, just before he meets his fate.

I wrote four pages today.

Day 98 of writing my new novel is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment