Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 29, April 26, 2010

In the past, I've been criticized on occasion for not making my villains three dimensional. My reaction has been: That's the problem with villains, they're not fully formed people. They lack empathy. They're indifferent to the suffering of other people. At their worst, they're piles of poop in search of swarms of flies. I show them without redeeming qualities because they have none.

Nonetheless, they do have internal lives, even if they're creepy and malformed. So today's writing looks at what's going on in the head of a character who set out to reach some noble goals but got way too caught up in building and maintaining a personal base of power. This reflects one of my core beliefs: Institutions that are established for the best of reasons ultimately, and usually quickly, come to exist primarily to serve themselves.

That point of view might be seen as cynical; I welcome rebuttals to offer exceptions to the rule.

Today's examination of personal corruption covered six pages.

Day 29 of writing my new novel is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment